To turn our house into a home required making the kitchen a lovely but functional space. When we bought this house we now call home we didn’t even care what the inside of the house looked like. We fell in love with the land. When we looked around inside we could tell it had good bones but it was outdated. We knew there would be work to do but overall it was in good shape and we were going to be spending all our time outside on the property anyway.
If the kitchen is the heart of the home ours needed to be open , functional and lovely.
We quickly learned that kitchen was not functional enough. The oven was small. There was no dishwasher or garbage disposal. We are for being frugal but no dishwasher was just not going to work for us. There is too much work on a homestead to be worried about hand washing dishes. We also wanted more light and space. The kitchen had a wall that basically cut it off from the other room. We also wanted to transform this outdated house into a functional yet beautiful farmhouse inspired home. After all, everything about the property screamed farmstead, so we just had to make the inside match the outside. It was important that everything we did this while maintaining a very tight budget.
Blessings helped us achieve results
We were blessed to have everything fall into place when buying our home but the real blessing was our son-in-law Charlie who has his own business remodeling homes. (Montgomery’s Home Improvement) He was a huge help getting things started and he even provided extra materials we were able to put to use.
Our appliances were purchased during the holiday season specials. This saved us thousands alone. By keeping the bottom cabinets and just putting on new doors we were able to save even more. The space was small so we knew we couldn’t reconfigure things much anyway. We decided to reuse and up-cycle as much as possible.
We wanted to create a feeling of space and openness.
The top cabinets were taken out and open shelving put up. We also took out the wall closing the kitchen off from the den and extended the countertop there. Removing the top cabinets left a hole in our ceiling. This gave us the opportunity to use a tongue and groove wood ceiling. We added the wood planks, recessed lighting and a wood beam to section off the kitchen. The wood beam transitioned the ceiling into the den. We also used repurposed wood we had on the property, staining it and used piping we painted black to brace the shelving.
By removing the very small built in oven we were able to convert the space it was in to additional cabinet space. When we had the cabinet doors made we simply had one large door made for that cabinet.
Then our wonderful son-in-law came and helped us paint the cabinets and doors. He did a beautiful job. Charlie did the bulk of the work that comes when you start any project like the unexpected extras when you transition from one room to the next. It often means the next room needs work too.
Last but not least we had butcher block countertops put on. We debated what type of countertops but decided on the butcher block because it was the most reasonable price. It is possible we may change them in the future. Butcher block is not as easy to maintain as we had hoped it would. I do think they are absolutely beautiful. I think they give the kitchen the look we were after.
The remodel took longer than expected but it was all worth it!
Our kitchen project was started about four months after moving in to the house. It took us an entire year to get the kitchen done. So much for getting it done before the busy summer months. The project ended up taking us longer than expected to finish because of the unexpected work and our tight budget. Darren then put in sweat equity finishing small projects each month as he had time after work. Then there was trying to do the whole thing without going into debt. Thank goodness for our son-in-law Charlie he was able to get the hardest most time consuming parts done in a timely manner.